Things Not In Our Power are neither Good nor Bad
The Stoic doctrine that things not in our power are neither good nor bad can be deduced from a number of other core Stoic beliefs.
- Virtue is the only thing genuinely good, and vice is the only thing genuinely bad.
- The only things in our power are our beliefs and will.
- Virtue and vice are types of acts of will.
- Ergo, virtue and vice are in our power.
- Ergo, things not in our power are neither good nor bad.
Common False Values
Grant Sterling (2005). "Core Stoicism." International Stoic Forum.